Q: Ticking and white smoke

asked by on February 05, 2016

My engine is not running correctly after oil change. The oil was above the max line, and I believe there was possible spark plug damage. After taking the vehicle for another oil change, I can now hear a tick and white exhaust smoke is coming out of the tailpipe. I also noticed that the air cabin filter had been removed and not replaced after the oil change.

Hi there. Overfilling the oil can cause issues, but in most cases it has to be an extreme overfill. Often leaks can develop along with noise and smoke. Worst case scenario, it can cause mechanical damage to the engine. The engine oil and filter should be changed immediately. Most reputable shops will re-evaluate their work for free and cover any additional repairs caused by possible mechanic errors in the service. However, if you no longer trust the mechanic or shop that performed the work, you may want to enlist the help of mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, to re-eveluate the previous repairs and offer a second opinion on what is needed to restore your vehicle to optimum running condition.