I have alot of play in my steering wheel .and sometimes i...

Q: I have alot of play in my steering wheel .and sometimes it is hard to turn

asked by on December 11, 2016

Sometimes when I back up in the parking lot at school the wheel is hard to turn left or right. Just trying to find out what the problem is

Hello, thank you for writing in. Hard steering is typically a sign of worn down steering gears or power steering pump. You will want to check the condition of these components and their fluid level. Check for leaks or any obvious damages to the outside of the system. Other issues would include worn steering linkage such as the tie rods. The suspension is also heavily related to the steering and how well it functions. You will want to give the suspension components a full inspection as well. There are a lot of updates that can be made to these systems. Start by inspecting the basic components and see if anything stands out. If nothing does, then you will want to look into replacing the pump and or gear.