Q: Wheel bearings fail often, what is the problem?

I recently had a wheel bearing fail on my 2007 Subaru Outback on the rear passenger side. I have like 45,000 miles on this car, so I did not expect that kind of repair to be necessary. I don’t drive on particularly rough roads and I do not drive aggressively. Is this normal? I don’t want to be replacing all 4 every few thousand miles!

This is a common problem on 2005 and 2006 models. Subaru released a technical service bulletin (TSB 03-58-08) for this specific problem. According to the TSB, the rear wheel bearings may develop a noise over time, but that it does not affect the performance or life of the wheel bearing. Your local Subaru dealer or Subaru Corporate (1.800.782.2783) can advise whether your specific vehicle is covered under the rear wheel bearing extended warranty program.

3. Wheel bearings fail often, what is the problem?