Q: Not happy about transmission failure

At only 65,000 miles, the automatic transmission in my 2009 Chevrolet Traverse failed catastrophically. I never thought I would be paying so much to repair such a new car. How will I know it won’t just fail again after I shell out the cash? Is the car defective or will a new transmission solve my problem?

A: Chevrolet determined that the transmission ...

Chevrolet determined that the transmission on the 2009 Chevy Traverse that are equipped with the 6T70/75 6-speed automatic transmission (RPO MH2, MH4, MH6, and MY9 have breaks on the clutch wave plates. This causes the transmission to have no reverse, and slip/flare/harsh shifts in 3rd and/or 5th gear (set codes p0776 and p0842). The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB #09-07-30-012B in march of 2011) details a repair process of the broken clutch wave plate. However, if you are out of the 5 years/100,000 miles, whichever comes first on powertrain warranty, GM will not offer any assistance for this repair. This repair must be done by a transmission specialist due to the process required for correction. It should be noted that if you happen to be just out of the powertrain warranty period, it may not be a bad idea to request GM provide some assistance for this repair, given that you have maintained the vehicle at the dealer and are performing the repair at the dealer as well.