Q: Popping noise, wheels won't turn

While driving at night and while turning the steering wheel, I heard a Pop and then my wheels wouldn’t turn at all. The steering wheel Will turn, but the wheels do Not. The car runs fine and everything else seems okay, but the wheels won’t turn left or right. I examined the wheels and saw that the inner tie rods ( think it’s the inner ones - the ones that connect to the steering gear) were disconnected. Then when backing up the car, I saw the bolts and retaining tabs on the ground. If you have a mechanic near my area I could have you look at it. What do you think is causing this?

A: For your 2001 Chrysler LHS, the inner tie r...

For your 2001 Chrysler LHS, the inner tie rods are attached to the steering gear with a retaining bolt and a lock tab. If the bolts are not torqued enough and the lock tab engaged, the bolts can back out and fall off. Have the bolts replaced with new lock tabs. Make sure the new bolts are tightened to specified torque of 75 ft lbs. following technical bulletin 19-001-01. I would also recommend having all the steering components checked for damaged.