Q: Loud exhaust, might be a leak?

I thought there was something loose the first time I heard the exhaust sputter from my 2014 Jeep Cherokee. It was pretty loud and abrupt. I couldn’t feel or hear anything bumping around so I doubt something is loose. Couldn’t be rust at 3,100 miles. What is causing this? Is this some feature? It is loud but not too ridiculous, just noticeably louder than normal.

The noise you are hearing is coming from the exhaust resonator. There is a technical service bulletin (TSB) 11-001-15 dated January 28, 2015 that calls for the inspection of your resonator for a small drain hole at the back of it. If it has the hole then the dealer will replace the resonator with a new resonator without the hole. If yours does not have the hole then no action would be done and normal diagnostic of the noise you hear would apply. This TSB only covers vehicles under warranty.