Q: P0016 (crankshaft and camshaft correlation bank 1 sensor A)

My CEL goes off intermittently. When its either on or off is gives the code p0016. Whats wrong with my car?

Trouble code P0016 is set when the computer detects that there is an issue with the timing between the engine’s camshaft and crankshaft signals.

The camshaft and crankshafts are connected by a belt or chain, and are precisely timed for maximum engine performance. If the computer detects that the timings are off, via the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, it will set off the light to alert the driver of the issue.

A few common causes for this code are a bad camshaft solenoid, a bad cam or crank sensor, bad camshaft actuators, any of the associated wiring, or a bad belt/chain. I would start by looking at the cam and crank position sensors and go from there.

If you need help with this repair, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come diagnose this trouble code further and help you make an accurate repair.

3. P0016 (crankshaft and camshaft correlation bank 1 sensor A)