Q: When I drive my car, I hear a sound like something is rattling under my 2014 Hyundai Elantra

asked by on May 25, 2017

When I drive my car I hear a sounds like something's rattling in there underneath the car the faster I go the louder it gets and when I turn my car to the left the noise goes away but when I'm driving straight or turning to the right the noise stays there. It doesn't start until my car is in motion and it stays there until I come to a full stop. What do you think it could be?

Hi there. If the noise only occurs when moving and it changes when you turn then it is one of a few things. Most of the time this is caused by a loose exhaust heat shield. I have seen these come loose frequently on a lot of Hyundai vehicles. It can also be a loose backing plate on the brakes or a failing drive axle. I would usually get the vehicle in the air and run it to see if I can isolate the noise. If you want some assistance in finding the source of this noise, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to you to [diagnose where the noise is coming from] https://www.yourmechanic.com/services/loud-squealing-or-rattling-is-coming-from-engine-inspection