Q: My car wont start/crank

asked by on October 16, 2016

I was trying to.replace starter and forgot to ground the battery and started without it. The car turned on and then wont start again. Red light flashing on dash with abs, battery light as well. Most people said that it could be anti theft system. I have tried replacing starter relay.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. What happened is that the power cables that are directly from the battery went to ground causing a mass surge through the vehicle’s fuse box. This causes the engine’s computer to think that the vehicle is being stolen and sets the anti theft system. Remove the battery cables, both the positive and negative and let the vehicle wait 30 minutes. While you are waiting 30 minutes, go into the vehicle and put the key in the ignition and turn on all accessories, like the lights, turn signal switch, brake light with stepping on the brakes, power windows, and anything that has a switch. Keep in mind there is no power, so all you are doing is draining the power from any resisters that will hold a charge. Once you are done, turn off all switches and hook up the battery, positive cable first then negative (ground) cable second. The anti theft system should be cleared and you should be able to start the vehicle. If you are unable to start the vehicle back up, then seek out a professional, as one from YourMechanic to assist you with your no start issue.