Q: Acclerator pedal malfunctioned, misfired, service engine and loud noise

I was driving 15 mph when my car would no longer accelerate when I was pressing down on the accelerator pedal. It also misfired, made a very loud noise, and then the Service Engine light came on. It took my car to the dealership and they performed a diagnosis. They told me that the app sensor needed replacement. Before I go forward with their replacement, please tell me your assessment of this problem and if you think there might be any other solution?

The accelerator pedal position sensor is a common failure item as well the the throttle position sensor in the throttle body assembly. Either sensor can cause similar performance concerns. The cause of these problems usually result in a diagnostic code pointing to the circuit where the fault is located so the technicians have a little help finding the bug. I would trust the technicians assessment in this case. Of course, if the problem is not fixed, then the job is not done. If you would like to have this taken care of elsewhere, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to the site of your car to replace the throttle/acceleration pedal sensor for you.

3. Acclerator pedal malfunctioned, misfired, service engine and loud noise