Q: Excessive cranking after setting 15-30 minutes, will start if put gas pedal to floor

asked by on March 18, 2017

2005 Ford F-150, 4.6. Has excessive cranking after setting 15-30 minutes. Sometimes sputters to a start, but can throw a code #8 miss fire. If I hold gas pedal to floor will start every time. Changed plugs and moved cop from #8 but the code didn't follow. Any ideas? Thanks

Hi there. There are multiple issues that could be causing this problem, ranging from EGR valve issues to a idle control valve or even throttle body problem. If you’re able to start the truck by putting throttle to the floor, then a throttle position sensor might also be a damaged component. However, the first thing I would do would be to download all stored error codes in the ECU with a professional digital scanner which would give me at least a starting point to being the diagnosis.