Q: Dash lights are on and have issues with the battery and the transmission.

My e46 325i is having issues. It starts with battery light coming on and then brake lights, traction control lights, abs, check engine light. Pretty much every light. When driving, it's like it downshifts hard and my transmission goes into safe mode with exclamation point next to the gear indicator on the dash. I've replaced alternator and when it left the shop, everything was charging and doing good and about five miles later, back to same old stuff. Sometimes she fires right up, then other times it acts like a dead battery and after I turn the key off, there is a weird noise from under the hood somewhere sounds like an engine or some kind of whining noise almost sounds like it's in the dash or firewall area. I've ordered a new computer for it and I've had it hooked up and it read something about my drivetrain control module but I'm still not sure if that is the problem and was wanting to know if I'm headed in the right direction or if this is a common issue or what.

Hi there. First check the computer for any codes that could be stored as the check engine light is on. This will give you a starting place where the problem could be coming from. If the drivetrain control module is not working, then the brake light, traction control light, and the ABS light could come on. Since you have all three lights on, it is possible that the drivetrain control module could have failed making the transmission go into limp mode. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose your vehicle if you cannot fix the issue.

3. Dash lights are on and have issues with the battery and the transmission.