Q: Just did a tune up on my 84 olds cutlass supreme. 3.8. Afterward got a static sounds from stereo, then it died on the freeway

asked by on February 27, 2018

Just did a tune up on my 84 olds cutlass supreme. 3.8. Afterward got a static sounds from stereo that increased with the rpms, then it died on the freeway while driving at 65mph.now it won't start. It turns over, but i don't think it's getting any spark to the plugs. I realized i forgot to put on the grounding strap on the ignition coil, so i put that on, but it still won't start...

Car is not starting Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

When you operated the car right after the tune-up, the coil somehow "found" a good enough path to ground for the ignition to function, but it was probably a high resistance path. That would have increased the load on the coil (the current flow) and might have caused the coil to fail. Restoring the ground now of course is too late if the coil was damaged. You can test your present coil or substitute a known good coil as a quick diagnostic test. If that does not resolve the issue, just request a no start diagnostic and the responding certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, will diagnose and repair the ignition system. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.