Q: White smoke coming from tail pipe.

I have white smoke coming from my exhaust. The van also jumps when put into drive.

A: While vehicle smoke can appear in a wide ra...

While vehicle smoke can appear in a wide range of colors, white smoke from the exhaust is often an indication that the car is burning coolant in the engine. Coolant is normally found in the cooling system and can enter the combustion chamber of your vehicle in a couple of different ways. The most common ways are through blown head gaskets and from a leaking intake manifold.

This situation will definitely require the help of a trained professional to assist with diagnosing why your car is blowing white smoke out of its’ exhaust. Once the concern with the white smoke has been resolved, then the jumping concern can be addressed next if it is still present. The white smoke should always be addressed first due to the fact that coolant loss can lead to an engine failure, and addressing the jumping transmission second to this. With either of these situations, I always recommend allowing a certified mechanic to give you a hand with diagnosing these concerns for your vehicle.