Q: Gas cap light comes on but i got a new cap and it still comes on, what's wrong. 2007 Chrysler

i got a message in my dash saying "gas cap" . i got a new one and it still said's gas cap. what should i do now.

Hi there - on some cars, a correction for this warning requires multiple "drive sessions" to reset this code. It may also be possible, using a Check Engine code scanner/reset tool, to reset this code. If the code does not go off after a week of driving, have your codes read (most auto parts stores will do this for free) to determine if a different problem is causing this warning light. For assistance I would recommend a Check Engine inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

There can be other issues causing the gas cap fault. It may be best to have a certified technician look into the gas cap fault. Rare but one possibility can be damage to the fuel filler neck itself. If there is any abnormal wear or damage to it, even a new gas cap may not seal properly. It can also be possible that there is an EVAP system leak or fault even though the check engine light is not on or an EVAP system leak fault present. The gas cap works along with components like the charcoal canister and EVAP purge valve and/or solenoid, to allow fumes from the fuel tank to be vented forward to the engine where they are burned off during normal engine operation. It is possible one of those can be the cause of the continued gas cap light fault.

3. Gas cap light comes on but i got a new cap and it still comes on, what's wrong. 2007 Chrysler