Q: Q: Fuel gauge not working

The fuel gauge on my car is not reading the gas level properly. It stays on Empty when I know there is gas in the tank.

Hello, there are a few areas to look at. Being a newer car, it should be checked for codes, as there might be a code leading to a fault. The fuel level sensor is read by the engine PCM and sends out the level to the instrument cluster over the CAN network. The most common failure would be the fuel level sensor. A special tool mimicking the fuel level sensor can be connected, and to determine if it’s the the level sensor that has failed. If the reading is the same, the electrical testing must be done to check the wiring and sensor. If you would like to have this checked, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to take a look at this. They will also be able to replace your fuel gauge sender if this is verified to be the problem.

3. Q: Fuel gauge not working