Q: Wont catch the first or second gear

This is going to sound odd but I have a 91 Ford F1 50 when the truck is shut off it will go in the first and second gear just fine and then when you try to roll the key over with the clutch in and it'll start and pulling those gears but if the truck is running and you try to put it in either one of those gears it won't pull it will go into the slot but the gears have no powerI still have third fourth and fifth years but I don't understand why it'll go into the gears with the truck shut off but not when it running thank you

Hi there. It sounds like you may have bad synchronizers. These components match the output gear speed to the wheel speed which, in your case, would be zero. However, remember that all of the output gears are in mesh with the gears driven by the engine. If these gears are spinning and the synchronizers have failed then the gear probably will not engage. On the other hand, there could be more severe damage that may need teardown. I suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a car doesn’t move inspection.