Q: When I'm driving about 40 mph my Jeep Cherokee left wheel gets louder and when I turn left it makes a loud noise down there. What

My car us just really loud and I'm trying to find the problem. The noise is originating from the left tire. It's even louder than my engine and I want a fix.

A: Front end noises can be caused by a few dif...

Front end noises can be caused by a few different components. First, to eliminate the tires as a source, try rotating the tires. Solid axle 4WD vehicles can experience tire wear that can cause excessive noise. Run your hand across the tread area to feel for any abnormal wear patterns such as a heel / toe wear pattern. Make a fist with one hand and run your other hand across the knuckles of the fisted-hand. If the tread area feels similar, then the tires could be a source of the noise. Rotating them more often should help.

Also, check the front suspension components. Loose / worn components such as tie rods, drag link, or ball joints can contribute to abnormal tire wear. The wheel bearings can also cause a loud humming noise. Bearings can be worn and sometimes not show any excessive wheel play. An often overlooked component on solid front axle vehicles is the front wheel u-joints. Excessive wear / play in the u-joints - located right behind each front wheel hub - can also be a source of noise.

Have a certified technician look into the front end noise to isolate the exact cause.