Q: Knocks upon starting and won't drive.

When I start my car it makes a knocking noise and I can't drive it. The gear stick does not shift out of park on my automatic transmission.

A: Your shifter has a solenoid that will not l...

Your shifter has a solenoid that will not let the shifter come out of park unless your foot is firmly on the brake pedal. This is a safety feature to prevent cars from rolling away if the brake pedal is not depressed. If this solenoid, or another part of the park interlock system has failed, the shifter may not come out of park. Concerning your knocking noise I would check the level of your engine oil if you are able. Low oil can cause your engine to knock due to low oil pressure. I would ask for an inspection from a mechanic to check into both of your concerns so your vehicle will be 100 percent again.