Q: Code P0171 Chevy Malibu 2014

asked by on November 21, 2017

I got a 2014 Chevy Malibu from the dealership Kia.. 24 hours later the check engine light came on and the code read P0171. Can you tell me what this could be. Should I get a different car if the dealership charges anything to fix, what could the length in time take to fix this? I have a feeling I put the wrong gas in it 87 - could that have make this complication?

A number of things may cause code P0171 and P0174 to be triggered. As the codes indicate, this means there is a lean fuel condition which may be caused by a lack of fuel supply or in some cases, a vacuum leak. When a vacuum leak is present, this introduces an excessive amount of air into the fuel/air mixture which results in leaning out the fuel content. Other problems such as a faulty fuel pressure regulator, a faulty fuel pump, a clogged fuel filter, faulty fuel injectors, faulty oxygen sensors, or a faulty mass air flow sensor may also cause this to happen. I would suggest having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr