Q: When traveling at highway speeds my car all the sudden has lost power when accelerating

asked by on December 06, 2017

My car started to lose power while accelerating especially at freeway speeds it keeps trying to kick into overdrive and has a hard time going uphill and accelerating also makes a louder engine noise when doing this

Loss of power on acceleration can be due to plugged fuel injectors, faulty oxygen sensors, fuel pump and/or filter, vacuum leaks including that caused by a faulty EGR system, ignition system malfunctions, bad valve timing if the timing belt or chain is worn or skipped, blocked exhaust (e.g., catalytic converter fails or becomes clogged), a faulty airflow sensor or throttle position sensor, and so forth. To pinpoint the exact cause will require an engine loss of power diagnostic. If you request that diagnostic, the certified mechanic will get this resolved for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.