Q: High RPM's after tune up.

asked by on December 27, 2016

So I did a full tube up on my mother in laws truck. It's a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7 engine. I changed the air filter, pcv valve, all 8 spark plugs and coils. When doing the tune up I removed the air filter housing as well as the air resonator box. She hasn't taken great care of the truck routine oil changes is about it that she can remember. She had it parked at her place in Texas, and something made a nest on top of her engine had to try and blow it all off before/during the tune up. Didn't run into any issues during the tune up. When she took it home today, /she said it reved really high when she started it, at idle RPMs were over 1000 then it felt like it want to go even when she was stopping. Maybe the PCV line got nicked loose? Or I may have knocked off a vacuum line? What are your thoughts?

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

Hi there. Sounds like the rodent that nested on the engine may have knocked off a vacuum hose or chewed through a vacuum hose. The engine idle could be high for a vacuum leak or the idle air control valve (IAC) not working. If the engine vacuum lines are good and not broken or loose, then check the IAC and see if it’s unplugged or the wires are chewed through. Replace the IAC if its not working and the wires are good. If you need further assistance with the rpm’s being high, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.