Q: Can a faulty transmission shifter clip cause the transmission speed sensor to go bad?

asked by on July 18, 2016

I recently had to replace the transmission sensor-warranty ran out at 60000 and I have 62000 on the car. I then heard about a recall on the airbags and called the local dealership. They told me that be my VIN # the airbags were fine but that I needed to come in to let them change the "Transmission Shifter Clip" that it was a safety issue. My concern is that the faulty transmission shifter clip may have caused the sensor to go bad. Is that probable? Or likely?

The recall has doesn’t involve the speed sensor. The recall is to replace a clip on the shift linkage to keep it from coming off and possibly allowing the vehicle to come out of gear and roll if the parking brake is not on. The sensor and the shifter clip are not very related so this isn’t very likely. If you want to have the sensor looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can give your car a comprehensive inspection to make sure the repair is done correctly.