Q: Killed the truck and now it will turn over, but it will not start

We were driving the truck stop and killed the truck and it would not crank. Tried charging the battery because it died. After we charged the battery it would turn over but would not start. You could smell gas but I did not see any. We just replaced the gas tank and the fuel pump. Can you help me troubleshoot what could be wrong? I know the spark plugs are rusted kind of badly but to me it should have never started if that was the problem

Hi, thanks for writing in. It sounds like the fuel pressure regulator is bad and leaking fuel into the engine. This can make the engine stall, smell of fuel, not start, or even crank if engine is flooded of fuel. Check the engine oil to see if oil smells of fuel and level is over full. If it is then the regulator needs replaced and oil and filter changed. You will also need to remove spark plugs to clear engine cylinders of fuel and may need to replace them. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.