Q: Slight grinding sound and gear oil leaking

I have 2001dodge ram rwd v6 5speed i been having a slight grinding sound once i start increasing speed over 30 to 40 mph ,i taken the rear end gear housing cover off and there are small amonts of metal shaving inside nothing large at all no teeth missing from any gears,is it possible that i need to replace my seal or bearing .that is coming into the front of the gear housing because that were it's leaking and my pumkin low on oil

A: Hello. From the symptoms you’ve described i...

Hello. From the symptoms you’ve described it would appear to me that your differential has run low on oil and some damage has been done to the gears.

The grinding noise and metal shavings are both probable symptoms produced from lack of lubrication. If your differential is leaking then I would address the leak, fill the differential to the proper level with the correct type of fluid, and then go from there.

If you need help with this, feel free to contact a professional technician who can diagnose the noise you’re hearing and ensure that your differential fluid level is correct in order to get your car running properly again.