Q: Power steering problem - 1999 Lincoln Continental

I'm having trouble with power steering . it's full of power steering fluid, not making any noise, not leaking but steering is stiff like there is no power steering . My previous question about air shocks was answered saying the previous owner replaced the air shocks with coil springs , would this have anything to do with power steering problem ?

A: Your power steering system should not have ...

Your power steering system should not have anything to do with the coil springs or air shocks as these are entirely different systems. This may suggest your power steering pump may be failing or potentially your rack and pinion system my not be pumping the fluid properly through the power steering system.

As you may know, the power steering system is hydraulic and operates on hydraulic pressure that is pushed through a series of valves inside of the rack and pinion system. When this is not pumping fluid properly, this can cause the power steering pump to fail due to a lack of hydraulic pressure.

To avoid any unnecessary repairs, I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your power steering system and fix it accordingly.