Q: Why does the hill-start assist control buzzer sound?

asked by on December 14, 2015

Why does the hill-start assist control buzzer sound?

The hill-start assist control system in your car is more than handy – it’s designed to provide substantial safety when starting on a hill after coming to a stop by preventing your car from rolling backward. The system works by applying the brakes, and notifies you that it’s active by flashing the traction control/slip light, and sounding a buzzer. However, the buzzer is also used to communicate other information about the system. Here’s what you need to know:

• Sounds once: The buzzer will sound once when the system is active and you have the transmission in a gear other than park.

• Sounds twice: the buzzer will sound twice and hill-start assist control will be turned off if you don’t press the gas pedal within two seconds, if the gearshift is moved to park, if you activate the parking brake, and if you press the brake pedal again.

• No sound: The buzzer won’t sound if you’re in reverse, but the slip indicator will flash.

Tip

If the slip indicator comes on and stays on (not flashing), it means there’s something wrong with the system and it should be inspected.