Q: How does the reverse sensing system work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How does the reverse sensing system work?

If your car is equipped with the reverse sensing system (optional equipment), you have an important safety feature that can prevent you from running over objects behind your car that are situated near the rear bumper. This system is designed to work with other backup systems to provide comprehensive safety. Here’s how the system works:

• When you put the car in reverse, the system automatically scans for objects or obstacles near the rear bumper.

• If it detects an obstacle, it will sound a warning tone.

• The tone will become continuous when you reach 10 inches from the object/obstacle.

• The system can detect objects up to 6 feet away.

Tips

• The system only works when the transmission is in reverse.

• The system is not effective if you’re traveling more than 3 MPH.

• The system will not detect some objects, including angular objects or objects in motion.

• The system isn’t foolproof. Always look behind you when backing up.

• The system will not detect small, moving objects. It is designed to detect larger, stationary objects.