Q: My low coolant indicator light came on and the radiator was low and the reservoir tank was totally empty

low coolant indicator came on and stayed on, gauge was almost to hot, radiator was low while the reserve tank was bone dry. Have not noticed any leakage on ground, car would go back to a normal setting when engine turned off and light will be off after car sits for a period of time. what could be causing the problem, vehicle has 82K miles on it and nothing like this happening previously

Hi there. From the description you have provided, my thought is, your vehicle has a coolant leak. Assuming you added to the cooling system, would account for the temperature gauge returning to normal and low coolant indicator going off. The coolant loss may be gradual, could also leak in between cold and warm. This would account for not seeing coolant on the ground. A cooling system pressure test could help identify the leak. Your vehicle should be inspected and repaired, before this develops into a more serious and costly repair. I recommend having your vehicle’s coolant loss be diagnosed and repaired by a certified technician from YourMechanic.

• My low coolant indicator light came on and the radiator was low and the reservoir tank was totally empty