Q: Water pump leaking at the gasket. Can I just replace the gasket?

Not holding water due to a leak in the gasket. As li g as I keep water in it then it runs fine. I should be able to just replace the gaskets right?

If the water pump is more than 5 years old or has more than 60,000 miles, replacing the pump while you are addressing the leaky gasket will be less risky, more efficient, and cost-effective. Water pump bearings and seals do not last forever. Replacing both the pump and gasket will reward you piece of mind knowing that both are new and reliable. In the case that the thermostat is more than 6 years old, changing out the thermostat is recommended because it is more efficient to do this maintenance while already in the area of those related parts. The pump and the thermostat are not particularly costly components and will relieve you from a possible breakdown in the future.

YourMechanic offers certified mechanics that provide water pump replacement services if you need help replacing these parts. If you have further repair or diagnostic needs, by all means recontact YourMechanic.