Q: Cabin filling with gravel dust

asked by on June 20, 2017

When driving down a gravel road in my 2010 Toyota Corolla I noticed the smell of gravel dust and then soon after I had my whole inside of my car filled with gravel dust, I saw the dust coming out of the middle pillar out of the slit where the seatbelt comes out from inside the pillar. I then took apart the inside trim of the pillar and found everything coated in road dust it followed down the trim alongside the bottom of the door on the drivers door and the rear passenger door. The seals seem to be fine and all intact so I have no clue how the dirt is coming into the car and then entering the cabin

Cabin Air Filter Replacement $90.53 - $167.27 Get a Quote

Hi there. Assuming your door seals are good, the only thing that I can imagine is going on is one of two things. Either your AC is set to blowing air from the outside of the vehicle or your interior cabin filter is dirty and needs to be changed. The first thing I would do is verify the settings on your AC system so that the air circulates from inside the vehicle and not the outside air. This will also help cool your vehicle quicker. Also, have your indoor cabin filter replaced if it has not been done in the last year.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr