Q: Car vibrating/shaking when idling

Sometimes, when I'm sitting/idling, say, at a traffic light, my car shakes/vibrates; I can really feel it in my steering wheel but it seems to be the whole car. Turning the a/c off seems to make it better. If I put it in Neutral while at the light, the vibrating stops or lessens so that's what I've been doing when it happens. Otherwise, the car is in good shape; I do regular maintenance and I'm pretty easy on cars, in general. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks, Shelly

This may be related to an idle air control valve or potentially low fuel pressure. The idle air control valve monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is not working properly or sending inaccurate signals to the ECU, this may cause an improper amount of air and fuel to be supplied at idle. This will be worse when the AC is on as the AC requires more power from the engine to operate resulting in more of a strain on the engine. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at the vehicle to determine what may be causing this shaking/vibrations.

3. Car vibrating/shaking when idling