Q: Misfire and low oil pressure

asked by on March 09, 2018

I have an 08 suzuki xl7 , my check engine turn one indicating it has a misfire, then after running the car for a few minutes my oil light turns on but only when the car is in a stop sign or in parking , is the oil light related to the misfire?

The oil light comes on when the oil pressure drops below a certain level: usually about 8 psi. Since the oil pressure will depend to some degree on how fast the oil pump is turning, you are probably seeing it because the idle speed is dropping due to the misfire. Chances are that under normal circumstances the oil pressure at idle is just enough to keep the light from coming on. That’s not uncommon with older engines. To get the misfire conveniently sorted out, you can contact YourMechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your Suzuki and let you know what it is going to take to solve you problem.