Q: Car makes squealing noise

asked by on February 08, 2016

My car is making a squealing noise.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The most common squealing noise coming from the engine would be a drive belt or pulley. This only happens with the engine running and can happen in several ways. A worn or loose belt can squeak when it slips. An old belt that the rubber has hardened can squeak. A pulley bearing can squeak or chirp when it is worn. It could also be the pulleys for your timing belt or the water pump itself. The noise is probably harmless, but if it is timing belt related, some damage could be done if a part fails. If you want this issue repaired, I would recommend having a certified mechanic inspect the noise and come up with the repairs needed for your vehicle.