Q: Electrical system issues and transmission problems

I have a high-mileage vehicle with over 230,000 miles on it and it's been having several issues lately. One of the issues is with the AC that starts blowing warm all of a sudden. After I wait about 15 seconds and restart the car, it gets back to normal. There is also this bumping noise while changing from first gear to second gear. The power windows and door locks are malfunctioning as well. All these issues disappear after the car is restarted. There are other electrical issues that wouldn't go away with the restart of the car, including the radio playing after I turn the engine off and the gauges of the instrument cluster that are not working correctly anymore. Also, after I turn the engine off completely, the radiator fan would work for several hours. Do you have any idea what the cause of these issues is? Could it be fixed? Thank you.

Hello. If all of these issues started at the same time then it is an electrical issue. From what you are saying it sounds like you have a bad ground connection on the negative battery cable or a failing ignition switch which is causing a loss of power to these circuits. I typically check these first. If they are fine then I test each circuit as it can be a short in the fuse box or some damaged wiring. The bump that you hear is usually from the output shaft of the transmission. There is a bushing in the tailshaft that needs to be inspected for wear. It is usually the issue. If you need to have these problems checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to inspect the cause of the issue.