Q: Wont start, new battery, new alternator

i have an 2001 for explorer with the v6 SOHC, drove it from colorado to minnesota and had no issues, but shortly after getting back i started having issues with it, brought it to a local mechanic and found out the fuel pump and fuel filter needed to be replaced, so got it done. 2 days later started have issues again, i put a fully charged brand new battery with 800 CA in it and dont even get a crank, just clicking, but if i jump it with cables it will start and run just fine. So i let it get to running temp. and then turn it off, go to try and start it again and the battery is completely dead. Im no mechanic but i have worked on cars for many years on my own and never ran into this issue, if you could point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it. thank you for your time. Lenny

From what you’ve described, you may have a bad battery cable.The clamp and cable may not be making good connection inside of the clamp where the cable goes into it.

You can test this with a voltmeter by measuring the voltage drop in the cables and grounds on the engine. A bad cable will cause the problem you’re having and a cable end or cable replacement will fix the problem in most cases.

If you need any assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our mobile technicians can come to your home and diagnose your starting issue firsthand for an accurate repair.

3. Wont start, new battery, new alternator