Q: My car needs a throttle body cleaning, but I'm worried about the idle and relearning process

I have a Nissan 2006 pathfinder LE. The throttle has never been cleaned. I am sure it is dirty with deposits. I am not having any problems with idling, crank, stall, but I am sure it has auto adjusted some to compensate for reduced air flow.

My concern is if you clean the throttle area, will you relearn the idle speeds before leaving? I know they are electric now and there is a specific process and timing required.

A: Hi there. This is a very good question that...

Hi there. This is a very good question that I wish more people would ask. Your 2006 Pathfinder's engine control unit (ECU) does evolve and learn as it goes. Anytime you clean the throttle body or complete major "routine" service, it's always a good idea to reset the ECU by clearing all stored error codes and resetting the system. This should reduce any timing adjustment issues that have been adjusted previously. If you have a digital scanner, you can complete this on your own. Otherwise, feel free to contact a mobile technician, such as one from YourMechanic, who can complete an inspection and scan your vehicle's computer or clean your throttle body for you.

Recommended services
Get a Quote