Q: Changed the oil yesterday. Started car this morning and it is pouring out white smoke. Gasket? Too much oil? Not losing coolant

asked by on February 13, 2017

Pouring out white smoke after an oil change. We accidently put 5w30 in instead of 5w20. Not losing any coolant. Kinda smells sweet

Smoke from engine or exhaust Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

The 5W-30 oil should be removed from the engine because that viscosity is not recommended for your car. However, the wrong viscosity oil does not account for the smoke. You can verify whether the oil level is too high, or too low, by using the dipstick. Some smoke at start up can be normal, particularly white smoke from condensation. However, continuous smoking after the first few minutes signifies a problem with the engine that you should seek to have identified in an engine smoking diagnostic. If the smoke is white that could be from an antifreeze leak due to a cracked cylinder head or engine block or a head gasket failure. If the smoke is blue, that means there is an oil leak into the combustion chambers from the valve guides or the rings. Black smoke occurs if the engine is being flooded with gasoline. Of course, multiple engine faults could occur at the same time causing different appearance of the smoke. At any rate, the thing to do to resolve this is seek a diagnostic so that you can determine what repairs will be required. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.