Q: When the car is cold and first starting, the serpentine belt seizes up temporarily.

I am wondering if it's the water pump or alternator or something else.everything appears to be functioning ok but this is definitely not normal

Hello. A belt that seizes up during cold starts can be caused by a few things. If one of the pulleys is seizing up, it can cause the belt to squeal as it passes over the stationary pulley. I would remove the belt and check each engine accessory pulley to see if any may be seizing up, possibly as a result of a loose or worn bearing.

If one of the pulleys shows any signs of seizing or irregular movement, then that component may need to be replaced or the bearing serviced. Belt issues at cold starts can also be caused by a loose belt, usually the result of regular wear and tear or a faulty tensioner. If the belt and tensioner are the originals, it may be possible that one of them is worn and needs to be replaced.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine if the seizing is a serious problem and if the serpentine belt needs to be replaced.

3. When the car is cold and first starting, the serpentine belt seizes up temporarily.