Q: Q: Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1

I have 2 codes P0340 and P0011 reading on my check engine. I took my car for an oil change and had them see if they could diagnose the issue. They said I needed 1 of my camshaft position sensors replaced. I think I recall him saying also that once one goes out the second one is not far behind it. Not sure if that's true or not...

My question is this: I have found a really good deal on the sensors and to save on labor should I go ahead and replace the one that is bad and the 2nd one that the oil and lube guy was talking about? Secondly, does this mean the 3rd and the 4th are on their way out too and it's just a matter of time? Or should I only replace the one that needs it and assume this was one of those "upselling" techniques. :)

Hi Taylor. Thanks for contacting us today. Without knowing the symptoms your car is displaying, it’s hard for us to give you an accurate suggestion here. I’ve always believed that if one sensor has failed or is faulty, others will shortly follow - which is why I recommend replacing all sensors related to an individual system (and the electrical harnesses connected to them) when an error code exists. I would caution you on purchasing sensors you find a "good deal" as often they are cheap aftermarket parts that tend to have compatibility problems. What I would also recommend is reading this article on the P-0340 OBD-II trouble code, as it will tell you common causes and repair suggestions.

I would suggest to only replace the one sensor first and clear the codes and road test to make sure the code does not return. Do not put on two sensors at the same time or if there is a problem then you would not know which sensor is having the problem.

3. Q: Camshaft Position Sensor Bank 1