Q: No start until the gearshift is moved around in park - 1992 Toyota Cressida

asked by on September 27, 2016

When I turn the key in the ignition to the on position, all electrical components turn on. Then, when I attempt to start the car by turning the key all the way, there is no sound of starter turning over. Then, if I put the transmission in park and start moving the gear shift, I would get the activity from starter and the engine would start running. How can I fix this?

If the shifter has to moved around in order to get the engine to start, then this indicates either a faulty or misadjusted gear selection switch on the transmission. In order to prevent the vehicle from starting up in drive, a gear selection switch is used to disable the starting circuit if the vehicle is not sensed in being in park or neutral. The switch will need to be checked, adjusted, and/or replaced. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who has the tools and expertise to diagnose and repair the no-start issue.