Q: How long does it take to install an alternator in a 1982 Toyota Tercel

I have found a rebuilt alternator for $200 and would like to know what labour costs I should expect to have the alternator replaced. It is my mom's car and, as a senior, she lives on a very limited income. I am doing the research for her so that I can make sure she isn't going to be gouged for it. Thank you.

Hello, thank you for writing in. An alternator replacement typically takes around an hour. This is dependent of course on the condition of the old unit and how difficult it is to remove. The tools needed are fairly basic. The accessibility to the alternator also needs to be taken into account. On your mother’s vehicle 60 minutes should be an accurate time estimate for the procedure. Keep in mind you can always contact our service department with information on what we charge to replace alternators. Good luck.

3. How long does it take to install an alternator in a 1982 Toyota Tercel