Q: What needs replaced if my key only turns back to ACC when I turn my car off?

When I bought this car the prvious owner told me there was a bad connector and that he unplugged the neg. whenever he was done driving for the day but the car needs a jumpstart everytime I leave the house. I've taken a look at the ignition and when i power down the vehicle I can only turn it as far back as ACC and not into LOCK position. Is this killing my battery? What part(s) specifically should I begin with replacing?

Hi there. The Toyota Camry is one of my favorites! If you can only turn the ignition cylinder to the ACC position, then yes, this will drain the battery. Leaving the switch in the ACC position provides constant power to all of the vehicle’s electrical systems.

Take a look at the key and see if it’s quite worn. If it is, try having a new key made and see if the cylinder will turn fully to the LOCK position. If it still only turns to the ACC position, then the cylinder may need to be replaced. If the cylinder needs to be replaced, a locksmith may be needed to rekey the cylinder to your old keys or you can opt to have one set unlock the vehicle while the other starts the vehicle; this is your choice.

I recommend having a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, assist you with an inspection of why the key does not turn a suggestion of needed repairs.

• What needs replaced if my key only turns back to ACC when I turn my car off?