Q: Car has been reving in park/idle at around 1000-3000 rpms

For about 3 days or so the car has been reving in idle/park at about 1500-3000 rpms. Even on a side road i was going about 70 and the car usually stays at a constant rpm when driving for a bit but then it started reving even going at 70 for about 20 mins. I got my uncle to check the error code since the check engine light was on but when he checked it no reving was happening to my surprise and he seemed to get the code PO 123 then cleared the code and was fine. After him leaving 5 minute later i get in and low and behold it starts reving again. Oh yea also it stalled while in drive at a stopped red light twice now.

Code P0123 relates to the throttle position sensor. The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a sensor used to monitor the throttle position of the throttle plate inside the throttle body in relation to your foot position on the gas pedal. Based upon the inputs from the sensor reading your foot’s position on the pedal, the ECU then makes the direction to supply more or less fuel to the motor. When this sensor is not working properly, this can cause intermittent responses when pressing the gas pedal. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to you home to diagnose your vehicle’s running condition.

3. Car has been reving in park/idle at around 1000-3000 rpms