Q: Car turns off when im at complete stop but not when parked

My car shakes really hard then turns off when my gear is on drive and im at a complete stop for more than a few seconds, like at a red light. Though it doesnt turn off if my gear is on park or neutral. The thermostat stop working and i often get a burnt smell from my car, what could this be?

Hello, thank you for writing in. Finding the cause of your issues is going to be a process of elimination. There are several components you are going to want to check and test if possible. First, have your vehicle scanned for diagnostic codes (even without a check engine light on). If no codes are present to work with, start checking the following. The transmission fluid may be low, and if so there is a leak. Another possibility would be an intake air sensor (MAF, air intake temperature, MAP) issue, or a vacuum leak. More complicated reasons would include a clogged catalytic converter, fouled spark plugs, or an EGR malfunction. To get help with testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Car turns off when im at complete stop but not when parked