Q: Resetting the PATS (Passive Anti Theft System)

How do I reset the Passive Anti Theft System on a 2000 Ford Mustang ?

The passive anti-thief system (PATS) is programmed to work with your keys from the factory. Only a dealer with special programming tools and codes can reprogram the system to your key again. If you have one key that is programmed and works then you can have copies made and program them yourself by inserting the key that works and turn on the ignition then turn off the ignition and pull out the key and immediately put in a new key and turn on the ignition. This will program the new key to start and work in your vehicle.

If you do not have a key that works in your car or the PATS does not respond to the key then only a dealer can access the PATS and test or reprogram it. There is a possibility the PATS module code was wiped clean from a battery that was disconnected or a voltage surge happened from jump starting the vehicle. Have the PATS checked and diagnosed by a dealer only to isolate the failures.