I have a clicking noise coming from my serpentine belt. c...

Q: I have a clicking noise coming from my serpentine belt.

asked by on November 30, 2016

Not shure if it's a bad ideler pulley or harmonic balancer but the ideler pulley has some play in it but belt is acting like it wants to come of the crank pulley

Hi there. To see if the idler pulley is making the noise or the crankshaft pulley is making the noise, simply remove the serpentine belt from the engine and start the engine. If the nose goes away, then a pulley could have an issue that is causing the belt to stick. Check all of the pulleys and make sure that they spin easy and not hard. Look at all of the pulleys for any flat spots and if there is any wobble to the pulleys. Also, feel the pulleys for any grinding sensation. If the pulleys are all working fine and there is no problem with the pulleys, then the serpentine belt could have had a glazed area causing the belt to stick to a pulley making the clicking sound. Also, if the belt was too loose, it is possible that the belt is the wrong one for your vehicle. If you need further assistance with the serpentine belt making a clicking noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.