Q: I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee that won't start. When I turn the key over, the Brake Warning Light comes on as if the parking break is on

I have a 97 Jeep Cherokee that won't start, when I turn the key over the brake warning light ⚠ comes on as if the parking brake is on. This has happened before but shortly after started up. What do I need to do to start her up?

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. The brake light is tied into the alternator and also the neutral safety switch. If the alternator is not producing enough voltage, then the brake light will light up. If the power is not changing in a higher voltage when the alternator is working, then the battery light will come on, too.

Check the condition of the alternator and check the cable for if it is tight. Check the neutral safety switch for any damage and check the harness for any debris or corrosion. If everything is good, then replace the neutral safety switch or alternator, whichever had failed. If you need further assistance with your vehicle, then seek out a professional, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the no-start and brake warning light so that this can be repaired.