Q: Power stearing is whining

asked by on October 13, 2016

I had my power steering pump changed new rack and pinion put in I am able to turn wheel with no problem seems to me not to be leaking any more. But now I have this whining sound happening why is this going on what to do

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote
Power Steering Pump Replacement $158.61 - $1630.96 Get a Quote

Hello, the noise could be from air in the system, low power steering pump fluid levels, or internal pump damage. Air in a hydraulic system can create this sound.

To remove air that is trapped try this:

• First check fluid level at power steering pump.

• Second raise both front tires off the ground with engine off, rotate steering wheel several times from left stop to right stop position.

This will purge any air in the system, if sound does not disappear the pump has internal damage and will need to be replaced. If you’d like, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your location to diagnose this noise firsthand and help you replace your power steering pump if necessary.