Q: Fixing a loose shifter on a '98 Ford F-150 Lariat

I have a loose shifter on my '98 Ford F-150 Lariat. I'm curoius--what is the easiest way to get to the screws and tighten them?

It depends on what kind of shifter it’s got on it. Some guys put the aftermarket ones on. Look all around and see if there is any places. You’ll need allen heads in or phillips screws. Sometimes they got a lock on them and then you just unscrew the assembly.

My advice is once you’ve figured out how to get them off, go get a good aftermarket one that has at least two-set screws. They are better with a two-set screw. Then you can get an allen wrench and adjust the two-set screws. They last longer and don’t get loose. You can generally get them in all kinds of configurations that look cool, too. If you need help with this, get in touch with a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, and they will be able to replace the shifter for you.

3. Fixing a loose shifter on a '98 Ford F-150 Lariat